Friday 3 January 2014

An Exclusive Human Interest Story!!!


A typical Gujarati Thali (plate) we have usually!
As a lady living in a little village named Satamba in Gujarat, my grandma always has to cook in season because you cannot get every vegetable in each season. So recently, my grandma is over from India for 6 months. During the Christmas break she made a lot of Indian food, and I helped her mostly for everything. My grandma loves cooking and her passion for cooking really shows when she taught me to cook. She spends her whole day cooking, in breakfast she makes poha (flattened rice with spices and onion). For lunch and dinner she would make a typical Gujarati Thali (plate) which consists of 3 sabzi (mixed vegetables), roti (flat bread), dal or Gujarati kadhi (curry) and rice, served with pickle, salad and papad. During the day when she is free my grandma loves to makes all the spices at home such as red chili powder, turmeric powder, dhania jeera (mix of cumin and coriander seeds) and other spice… my grandma is known for her achar (pickle). She would take fruits such as mangoes, limes, and lemons also garlic and add chilies; spices and preserve them for later use. Grandma was mostly known for her garlic achar as it was a very rare kind of pickle anyone would think of to make. So, during her stay in Canada she thought me how to make palak paneer (pureed spinach and cottage cheese) as she was really good at making it, and she thought me how to keep the nutrients in the spinach and still make it flavorful with less oil. My grandmother is the best person and makes world’s best food. She follows great cooking rules such as eating in season and eating locally. My grandma is a person who I love and admire everyday for her great cooking skills, and the devotion she has for the culinary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment